Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Rhode Island (RI)
Auto Accidents – Medical Malpractice – Wrongful Death
It is impossible to prepare for a serious personal injury. Although your life’s course has been altered so suddenly, it is still possible to prepare for the future. At Polito & Harrington, we bring our clients peace-of-mind. This involves more than just winning settlements. It is about finding solutions to problems … like how will you pay your medical bills? What will happen to your job? Your house? Or your family?
Although our personal injury law office is located in Waterford, Connecticut, our lawyers frequently take personal injury law cases from Rhode Island (RI).
Laws in Rhode Island (RI) and Connecticut (CT) are often similar, but here are some important differences:
- CT & RI have different laws governing personal injury claims. For example, in Rhode Island, the Statute of Limitations is longer than it is in Connecticut – three years instead of two.
- Also, in Connecticut, the Statute of Limitations begins to run at the moment the personal injury takes place. In Rhode Island, the clock does not start until the injury is discovered – this might not matter in an auto accident, but some birth injuries take years to present.
SOME UNIQUE ASPECTS OF RHODE ISLAND LAW
- Rhode Island has a three year statute of limitations for personal injury actions.
- Rhode Island utilizes a pure comparative negligence rule which allows an injured person to recover damages, even if that person is more than 50% at fault.
- Rhode Island measures death primarily as the loss of one’s present and future earnings, in contrast to Connecticut which also permits recovery for the loss of the enjoyment of life’s activities and the loss of life itself.
- Rhode Island often permits use at trial of post-accident corrective measures which are taken by property owners to correct a defective condition.
In Rhode Island, we handle personal injury cases throughout Newport County, Warwick County, Washington County, Providence County, and Kent County, as well as, the cities of Westerly, Providence, Newport and Warwick, Rhode Island (RI).
To schedule a free consultation, call 1.860.447.3300 or contact us online today.
To find out how our RI personal injury lawyers can help your situation, follow the links below:
Serious Injuries In RI:
Auto Accidents In RI:
Nursing Home, Doctor and Nurse Malpractice In RI:
Dangerous Animals, Workplaces and Property In RI:
We also handle general litigation for issues involving business disputes, probate and commercial litigation in Rhode Island (RI).
We will work hard to hold people and companies responsible for injuries caused by their carelessness.
Personable, attentive, approachable advocates, CT & RI personal injury lawyer, Humbert Polito will respond promptly to any questions or concerns. For a free consultation, call 1.860.447.3300 or contact us online.
We are proud of our long record of successful personal injury verdicts and settlements in CT & RI, achieved for the benefit of our personal injury clients.
We serve several locations in the Rhode Island area.
- Westerly Rhode Island
- Warwick, Rhode Island
- Providence, Rhode Island
- Newport, Rhode Island
- Newport County
- Washington County
- Providence County
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies.
*Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Polito & Harrington – Serving Connecticut, Rhode Island, Mashantucket Pequot Tribe and Mohegan Tribe
Bert Polito was professional and compassionate. I would recommend him and would be happy to use him again! Thank you, Bert!
5 / 5 stars
and presents its own unique set of variables. Thus, no guarantee can be made that you will obtain the same or similar
result as a previous client.