(NOTE: In addition to these towns we regularly handle claims throughout CT.)
Serving Communities throughout Connecticut and Rhode Island
At Polito & Associates, we know that accidents can happen anywhere and when you least expect it. Simply because your community is peaceful and quaint does not mean that you will not be involved in a traffic accident or slip and fall and sustain injuries. Even residents of small towns sometimes need to pursue a personal injury claim and our attorneys are dedicated to helping you recover the maximum amount of compensation possible after an injury.
We recognize that accident victims may live in various parts of Connecticut and Rhode Island, so our legal team tries to extend our practices to as many residents of these states as possible. Humbert Polito has been practicing law as a licensed attorney in Connecticut since 1986 and in Rhode Island since 1987, so he has the knowledge of the court systems in both states and extensive experience with the legal process. He also has obtained Board Certification from the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a certified civil trial attorney, which demonstrates his skill in the courtroom.
If you have sustained any type of personal injury in or around any of the above towns, please do not hesitate to call Polito & Associates for help. In addition, if you are an attorney in the area and need to refer a personal injury case, you can trust us to get the best possible results for the client.
Cases we Regularly Handle
The legal team at Polito & Associates understands that personal injuries can happen in many different ways. Each case can differ significantly based on the type of accident that occurred, as different laws and legal issues will arise from different situations. For example, proving negligence in a car accident case requires substantially different evidence and assertions than proving that a doctor was negligent in a medical malpractice claim.
We are thoroughly familiar with the legal issues presented in the following types of personal injury claims, among others:
- Auto accidents – More than 2 million people are injured in auto accidents on an annual basis in the U.S. and many of these result in the victim seeking compensation from the driver who caused the crash. Whether you are making an insurance claim or need to file a lawsuit, we will represent you through the entire process.
- Motorcycle accidents – Motorcyclists are more vulnerable than motorists in cars or trucks and, therefore, the injuries that result from motorcycle crashes can be particularly severe. In addition, there are certain acts of negligence that commonly cause motorcycle collisions, often involving distracted driving.
- Trucking accidents – Cases involving crashes with large commercial trucks can be significantly more complex than regular traffic accident claims. There are many reasons for the additional complications, including the additional role of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs), the involvement of the trucking company that employed the truck driver, and the many different potential causes of these crashes.
- Drunk driving accidents – Drunk drivers can cause serious injuries and they will likely be arrested when law enforcement arrives at the scene of the accident. While a criminal case and conviction will not reimburse you for your medical bills and other losses, we know how to use a conviction for DUI to your greatest advantage in your drunk driving accident claim.
- Nursing home injuries – Nursing home abuse and neglect is widely underreported and can be difficult to identify in many cases. In addition, nursing homes often work to cover up signs of nursing home injuries, so these cases can be particularly complicated.
- Medical and nursing malpractice – When medical professionals or nurses act in a negligent manner, serious injuries can occur to patients. These cases require that you prove the doctor or nurse acted outside of acceptable standards for their profession, so you need an attorney with experience in this type of case.
- Slip and falls – Many people slip and fall down on a daily basis and these accidents can happen in any type of store, business, hotel, private property, or even on a public sidewalk. This type of case requires that you prove the property owner was negligent in allowing the conditions that caused your slip and fall.
- Construction accidents – Construction sites are inherently dangerous places. When any type of negligence occurs on a construction site, the risk of injury substantially increases. These cases often involve falls from heights, heavy equipment or power tool injuries, crush injuries, and more. It can be complicated to determine liability for construction injuries – whether through your employer, a third party, or possibly both.
- Dog and animal bites – Dog attacks are traumatic and frequently result in both physical and emotional injuries that require treatment. We are familiar with the dog bite laws in Connecticut and Rhode Island and understand how to hold a dog owner responsible for your dog bite injuries.
- Workplace injuries – When you are injured at work, you normally would seek compensation through your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. However, filing a workers’ compensation claim is not always simple and you can get denied for the benefits you deserve. We can help you hold your employer and any relevant third parties liable for your workplace injury.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and Spinal cord injury (SCI) – Both of these injuries are considered to be catastrophic because they can permanently alter your body and mind’s ability to function. Victims of TBI or SCI often cannot work and may face the rest of their lives with permanent disabilities and impairments. For this reason, these cases often seek a significant amount of damages to cover a victim’s losses.
- Tribal law / Casino Law – Tribal lands have independent legal and court systems with different rules, requirements, and procedures. If you are injured in a casino or in another location on tribal lands, you need an attorney who understands how to handle this particular type of claim.
- Wrongful death – In some tragic cases, a victim will not survive the catastrophic injuries they suffered in an accident. In such situations, their surviving family members are often left in shock and having to deal with the financial and emotional losses associated with the death of their loved one. A wrongful death action allows you to seek justice for your loved one and financial compensation for all of your losses.
Each of these cases needs to be handled with specific care and attention to the legal issues and details involved depending on the type of accident and injuries that occurred.
Connecticut Laws Relating to Personal Injury Cases
It is important to have a law firm that has been active in Connecticut handling your CT case as every state has varying laws that may be involved in a personal injury case. Some of these laws include the following:
- Comparative negligence – This law allows you to recover partial damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident.
- Strict liability – In some cases, a person can be held automatically liable for an injury without a victim having to prove that the person was negligent in some way. A common example of strict liability is in dog bite cases.
- Punitive damages and damage caps – Connecticut does not place damage caps on non-economic damages.
- Negligence per se – “Negligence per se” is a legal doctrine that deems a party automatically negligent if they violated a safety law.
- Statute of limitations – This is the time limit you have to file a personal injury claim in your state. For instance, in Connecticut, you have two years from the date of the injury.
Our experienced attorneys understand these confusing laws and know how to apply them to your case to achieve the best result possible. After three decades of experience, you can trust Polito & Associates to skillfully handle your personal injury claim while abiding by all necessary timelines and court procedures.
Contact our Waterford and New London Personal Injury Attorneys Today
When you are in an accident any near the areas we serve, your first call after seeking medical attention should be to the law office of Polito & Associates. As well-respected residents of Connecticut, we understand the uniqueness of our state and the peculiarities of the different courts, each with their own rules and customs.
It is important to have an attorney with the resources and experience to represent you in your particular type of claim. Our attorneys commonly receive referrals from other law firms because of our success in handling claims in Connecticut and Rhode Island courts. We are confident that we can assist you with your personal injury claim and you have nothing to lose by calling to learn more.