A Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Waterford Representing Victims’ Rights
Drunk driving accidents often result in traumatic injuries and death.
No matter the seriousness of your injuries, it is imperative that you speak with a Waterford drunk driving accident lawyer about your case.
At Polito & Harrington, LLC, our team of drunk driving lawyers fights vehemently for your right to compensation, so you don’t have to worry about paying your bills or receiving proper medical care. Our results speak for themselves, as we have resolved more than 1,500 cases since we founded our firm in 2002.
Some of our recent drunk driving case results include:
- $275,000 settlement for a client who suffered a torn meniscus due to a motor vehicle accident involving a drunk driver.
- $150,000 settlement for a client who suffered a broken leg from a motor vehicle accident with a drunk driver.
Each case is different, and so is the outcome. However, if a Waterford drunk driving accident injured you or a loved one, let the trusted team at Polito & Harrington, LLC, fight for your right to compensation. This means that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
How Alcohol Impacts Driving
Serious injuries and even fatalities can happen in drunk driving accidents. Whether they occur at slow or high speeds, during inclement weather, or during a sunny day, drunk driving accidents can take a serious toll on your life and the life of your family.
The legal limit for drunk driving in Connecticut is 0.08. If you are 21 or older and your blood alcohol content (BAC) level is 0.08, you are legally intoxicated. If you are under 21, you are legally intoxicated at 0.02.
When their BAC is 0.08 or higher, a driver will experience:
- Impaired coordination: Drunk drivers often struggle with steering their vehicle, staying in their marked lane, and coordinating the use of the gas and brake pedals.
- A slower reaction time: Drunk drivers exhibit slower reaction times compared to sober drivers. They often take longer to stop, running through the intersection.
- Inability to concentrate: Drivers must multitask when driving (steering, monitoring their speed, and being aware of their surroundings). This becomes increasingly difficult when under the influence.
- Inability to drive safely: Drunk drivers will struggle to operate their vehicles safely. This includes swerving, illegal passing, speeding, aggressive driving, tailgating, and other unsafe maneuvers.
- Inability to make decisions: Sober drivers can make split-second decisions when facing adversity. Drunk drivers will struggle to do the same, which can lead to a head-on collision or T-bone accident if they cannot decide to steer their vehicle in a different direction when faced with another vehicle.
- Visual disturbance: Drunk drivers will struggle with a lack of peripheral vision, double vision, blurred vision, and difficulty judging the distance of other vehicles, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
Connecticut Drink Driving Statistics
In one recent year, 94 drunk driving fatalities took place in Connecticut. Drunk drivers killed 15 people younger than 21, and the 94 fatalities accounted for 37.8 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities.
Nationwide, alcohol-related accidents killed 10,511 in the same year, including 980 deaths among those under 21. The 10,511 deaths represented 28.8 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities.
Injuries Due to Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving accidents can cause serious injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Wrongful Death Stemming From a Waterford Drunk Driving Accident
As you see from the statistics, death is a tragic consequence of drunk driving accidents in Connecticut and across the country. When a loved one dies in a drunk driving accident, you will want to hold the responsible party accountable.
However, the only party that can file a wrongful death lawsuit is the administrator or executor of the deceased person’s estate. If your loved one died without a will that named an executor, the state might have to appoint one before you can begin your case. Speak with our law firm about a possible wrongful death claim.
Recovering Damages in a Drunk Driving Case
If you suffered injuries in a drunk driving accident, you might recover compensation for those injuries with the help of a Waterford drunk driving accident lawyer.
The damages you might recover include the following:
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Property loss
- Household services like childcare, cleaning, or cooking
You might recover punitive damages from the responsible party if the court finds the driver’s actions egregious or intentional.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most dangerous road to drive in Waterford?
According to data from the Connecticut Department of Transportation, Route 85 through Waterford is one of the most dangerous roads for drivers. Route 85 is dangerous due to its high volume of traffic, lack of left-turn lanes, and inattentive drivers.
How much can I recover in a drunk driving accident lawsuit?
There is no set limit you can recover in a lawsuit for a drunk driving accident. Each case is different, but our Waterford drunk driving accident lawyers will fight to recover the best compensation possible for your situation.
Contact a Waterford Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today
Did you or a loved one suffer an injury in a drunk driving accident? Injuries from car accidents can change your life in an instant. Whether you have a fracture or a paralyzing spinal injury, the Waterford drunk driving accident attorneys at Polito & Harrington, LLC, will fight for your right to compensation. Contact our personal injuries law firm office online or call us at (860) 447-3300 to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team today.
“I had a wonderful experience having Bert Polito and his entire staff working on my case. I can’t say enough about how professional, kind, and knowledgeable Bert and his associates have been. I highly recommend Mr. Polito if you really want a GREAT lawyer.”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Dave L.
Read more of our Google Reviews!
Polito & Harrington LLC
567 Vauxhall Street Ext.
Suite 230, Waterford, CT 06385
Phone: (860) 447-3300
Fax: (860) 447-3389