Personal Injury Lawyers

Community Service
What do I do if I suspect someone is being abused in a nursing home?
ct. nursing home abuse

ct. nursing home abuseUnfortunately, nursing home abuse occurs more frequently than you may imagine.  In fact, studies collected by the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) indicate that 10% of all nursing home residents have suffered some form of abuse in the previous year. This information, coupled with other studies referenced by the NCEA, suggests that only a fraction of nursing home abuse incidents are reported.

Below are some tips to follow if you suspect that someone is being abused in a nursing home:

Call the Police in an Emergency

First, and most importantly, if you suspect that someone is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, and it is an emergency, call 911.  If it is not a life-threatening emergency, contact the police and make a report.  During these beginning stages, it is critical that you work with an attorney experienced in nursing home abuse cases.

Additional resources to assist you in reporting nursing home abuse and neglect include Adult Protective Services (APS), which is usually the first agency to respond.  While the role of APS varies from state to state, APS does the following:

·         Investigate reports of abuse.

·         Offer responsive services.

·         Advises on other resources that may be available.

Contact an experienced nursing home abuse attorney

At Polito & Associates, we offer personalized, and attentive service while handling your nursing home abuse case.  Your case will be handled directly by CT & RI lawyers, Humbert Polito or James Harrington. You will always be able to talk with your lawyer when you need to. We will work hard to hold people and companies responsible for injuries caused by their carelessness.

To schedule a free consultation at Polito & Associates to discuss your nursing home abuse claim, call 1.860.447.3300.